Sunday, March 1, 2009

Somalia:Sharia is the law of the Land



Just about two weeks ago I posted about how the government of Pakistan have caved into the demands of the Taliban and allowed Sharia law to become the law of the land in Swat Pakistan. Just days later sharia loving Muslims in Somalia gave the new President of Somalia Sharif Ahmed 120 days to implement Sharia law into the country of Somalia. Now it is not even two weeks later and the President of Somalia has already caved in. He has agreed to allow sharia to be the law of the land.

Hat tip to the The Munz.

Somalia president agrees to sharia, truce plan

MOGADISHU (AFP) — Somalia's President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed said Saturday he accepted a proposal by local and foreign religious leaders for a truce with hardline Islamists and the implementation of sharia, or Islamic law.

The religious leaders are trying to mediate between the government and its foes who have ramped up their onslaught against the new president, elected on January 31.

"I met with religious leaders and elders and accepted their demand for ceasefire and reconciliation with the opposition members and I call on all opposition parties to halt the unnecessary violence," Ahmed told reporters.

"The mediators asked me to introduce Islamic sharia in the country and I agreed," he added.

Hardline Shebab militia and other Islamist fighters have waged battles against the government and its allies. At least 30 people were killed this week in the bloodiest clashes since the president was elected.

They have vowed to fight on until all foreign forces in Somalia withdraw and sharia is imposed.

The African Union peacekeepers whom they have also repeatedly attacked are the only foreign troops in the country after Ethiopian soldiers pulled out last month.
"We asked the president to implement Islamic sharia in the country and accept mediation," said Sheikh Bashir Ahmed, chairman of Somalia's Union of Islamic Scholars.

"He agreed and we hope this will end the violence in the country."
However, the proposal to introduce sharia would have to be ratified by parliament.
The president also said that the government had relocated to Mogadishu from neighbouring Djibouti, which hosted United Nations-brokered talks that led to his election.

The new government, which comprises 36 ministers, began work on Saturday, Ahmed said.


Link to Article

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little by little they take over more of the world, until there will be none left.

The Munz said...

Yes they do, all they need is that magic number of 20% of the population to be muslim more or less and they become so forceful that the other 80% give into their demands.

My question is are we going to allow this to happen here in the USA or are we going to follow Chris's lead and educate others, raise the consciousness of Americans and not allow this to happen? Or will we be the sheeple that are willing to go along and be pushed into a corner from which we have to live on our knees?

JonJ said...

To be fair, the average lifespan and level of happiness in non-Sharia Somalia is not that great; it's hard to see that Sharia law will make much of a difference. Where there's no rational incentive to enforce law and order then perhaps an irrational one is better than nothing. But
the best way for the West to deal with these nations would be to give everyone who wants it a one-way ticket out, and let those who want to stay fight it out between themselves.